web metrics

Graphical Computing CalendarAs you may have noticed, the history of graphical computing (nomograms and the like) has become one of the major themes of this blog. I did not foresee this, as I knew virtually nothing about the subject before I started researching my first essays on nomography a couple of years ago. This topic is still one of my main pursuits, and I’m as astonished by what I find now as I was back then. To capture a bit of this spirit, I’ve created a free 2010 calendar titled The Age of Graphical Computing that is available for downloading and printing. The fun thing is that you can test the examples right on the calendar to show that they work!

There are two formats available: two-sided 8-1/2″ x 11″ sheets of paper printed in landscape mode that can be connected at their edge as shown in the photo on the left, and two-sided 11″ x 17″ sheets of paper printed in portrait mode with two pages per side that can be folded as a group and stapled in the middle. Either of these could be printed to fit on A4 or other sizes, I’m sure. White paper can be used, but the color scheme is really designed for a light beige or ivory paper and it looks so much more professional when it’s printed on paper of some color (gray might work). The stapled format requires no other binding. As you can see from the photo on the left, I printed the first (non-stapled) format and took the printed sheets (24 lb. Southworth ivory linen paper from OfficeMax) to a local office shop (Kinko’s FedEx) and had them add clear plastic sheets to the front and back and install a spiral wire (a 60-second job that costs $5). Drilling a hole in the center along the top to hang it completes the calendar. Using 3 rings through punched holes along the top may be a cheaper option.

Continue below to see thumbnail images and the download instructions.

Small images of the front and back and each page of the calendar are shown at the bottom of this page. These provide only a rough idea of the content, but if you think you might be interested, the complete PDF file is just over 5MB, so it is easily downloaded and viewed at full resolution (for viewing you will want to download one of the first two PDF files listed below in which all pages but the back cover are right-side up).

Flip-Up Landscape Printing with Binding: The following two PDF files are designed for two-sided printing in landscape mode on 8-1/2″ x 11″ paper by default (choose the “flip up” mode of two-sided printing). Some sort of binding is required, as in the spiral binding shown in the photograph at the top. Note that the last page in the PDF file is upside down in order that the back of the calendar has the same orientation as the front cover.

The PDF of the calendar with major U.S. holidays can be downloaded here.

The PDF of the calendar with no holidays can be downloaded here.

Double Portrait Printing with Stapling: The following two PDF files are designed for two-sided printing in portrait mode with two pages per side on 11″ x 17″ paper by default (do not choose the “flip up” mode of two-sided printing). Note that the pages are in a strange order and are often upside down in the PDF file to provide the correct order and orientation when the packet of papers is folded and stapled in the middle.

The PDF of the stapled calendar with major U.S. holidays can be downloaded here.

The PDF of the stapled calendar with no holidays can be downloaded here.

In all cases the moon phases (shown as empty or filled circles) are referenced to U.S. Eastern Standard Time,  or GMT-5, so the date could be off by a day depending on where you live.

Have a happy 2010!

Ron

Front and BackIntroduction Pages

January February

March April

May June

July August

September October

November December

19 Responses to “A 2010 “Graphical Computing” Calendar”
  1. Walking Randomly » The 61st Carnival of Mathematics says:

[…] need of a new calendar which is where Ron Doerfler of Dead Reckonings comes in.  He has created a great looking calendar called The Age of Graphical Computing and has made it all available for free. Just download, print and away you go.  I have to confess […]

2. The Age of Graphical Computing « Rod Carvalho's web notebook says:

[…] By Rod Carvalho Ron Doerfler has created a truly gorgeous 2010 calendar titled the The Age of Graphical Computing. Ron has transformed nomography into a form of […]

3. David says:

Hello Ron,

These are pretty amazing.

Have you considered selling them? I think printing in bulk is cheaper and anyway I wouldn’t mind paying a little over the cost of printing. If you collect enough interest and you’re printing some, let me know. I will buy a few (say 2-3).

Happy New Year!
    David

Hi David. I’ve thought about it, but I don’t have the time to pursue anything right now. I’ll announce something here and drop you a line if I do. — Ron

4. William J McKibbin says:

I love this calendar — thanks much!

You’re welcome, and thanks for the tweet!

5. Nomograms « Harry R. Schwartz says:

[…] Like beautiful math? Need a calendar for 2010? Download a copy of Ron Doerfler’s Graphical Computing Calendar. […]

6. Scott Finegan says:

Thanks for a great looking calendar. As always your projects are multi-use.

Best,
    Scott

7. Peter Pagliarulo says:

I’ve appreciate very much this calendar. Very, very nice (and useful)

You’re quite welcome! — Ron

8. Sean Bietz says:

This is a very nice looking and very interesting calendar. Hope you keep it up in 2011. Thanks.

I appreciate that. With the nice responses I’ve received on this calendar, I’ve started to think about a 2011 calendar. Unfortunately, I haven’t decided if it will be on the same topic or a different math-related topic. — Ron

9. muhammad Nasir Abbas says:

Very Nice, informative and good looking Calender . . .
    Decided to print out one and hang in my office (to impress all ;-) )

That’s where I hang the calendar, right above knickknacks on my bookshelf such as a really nice slide rule, a Moonstick and a few ferrite core memory boards. Along with pictures on the wall of sundials and astrolabes, as well as a Personal Astrolabe, they evoke quite a few comments and interesting discussions. — Ron

10. Francisco Escamilla says:

Maravilloso y gran trabajo de recopilación. Ya me pusieron a estudiar. Gracias

Gracias por sus palabras amistosas, Francisco. En noviembre voy a publicar un nuevo calendario para el 2011 sobre el tema de cálculo mental. — Ron

11. liunian says:

Hi Ron,
    Your calendar is beautiful.

Thanks, liunian. Nice to hear from you again! Are you designing more nomograms? — Ron

12. Free “Age of Graphical Computing” calendar download « Artificial Intelligence Church says:

[…] Ron Doerfler is an engineer for Northrop Grumman in Rolling Meadows, IL. He’s written a book on advanced Mentat techniques and keeps a fascinating blog called Dead Reckonings: Lost Art in the Mathematical Sciences: […]

13. David Rysdam says:

Sadly, I only found this now, via the Make blog post. Not too useful as a calendar anymore, but still great as a…pamphlet? Is there an easy way to just get the top halves without the calendar pages?

Hi David. I’ve had some people ask about the calendar, so I will be re-releasing it for 2011 in the next month. I’ll also edit the source (believe it or not I made this in PowerPoint, which was painful) to remove references to being a calendar and also release it as a pamphlet or somesuch. My intent this year was to make two calendars for 2011, one on mental calculation and one on more advanced examples of nomography, but the first one took much longer than I thought it would. The 2011 mental calculation calendar will be appearing here for download in the next month along with the re-release of the nomography calendar for 2011, while the new nomography calendar will have to wait until next year at this point. :( — Ron

14. Thom W says:

Yeah, same here about the Make: article… Of course if you still have the raw file, we could change the dates on our own.

Hi Thom. See my response above. I’ll be updating the calendar pages and releasing it for 2011. Thanks for asking! — Ron

15. Hamlet Khodaverdian says:

Simply awesome Ron. Too bad I discovered your calender in October. :(

Your site has been bookmarked and I will be looking forward to the 2011 version.

-Hamlet

Now you’ve all got me wishing I’d done my 2011 calendar on nomography! I hope you’ll like the one I’m working on now anyway, and next year I’ll make a new 2012 calendar on graphical calculation (promise). — Ron

16. Walking Randomly » Christmas gifts for science geeks (like me!) says:

[…] that specialises in the lost arts of the mathematical sciences.  Last year he designed a 2010 Graphical Computing calendar and made the designs available for free to allow you to print your own.  Centred around ancient […]

17. Robert van Heijl says:

i love the calendars
    do you have something available for this year, 2012?
    thanks
    greetings

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to not break a two-year tradition, I simply couldn’t get a calendar together by the end of the year. I’ve been involved in multiple projects related to the blog as well as other family matters, and the deadlines just didn’t allow it. I’ll be starting to work soon on one for next year, though. It’s a niche thing about my blog that I like. Thanks for the compliment, though! — Ron

18. Kerri Fortier says:

This calendar is great, and would be a perfect gift for my father-in-law! Perchance, do you have it in an editable file, such as ppt, so that I can use this same exact calendar but change the cover year and the months to correspond to 2012?

Thanks!!

Hi Kerri. Sure, that’s no problem at all. I’m glad you like it—in the end I was not able to create a new calendar for 2012 (thus breaking a two-year tradition!), but I hope to post one later this year for 2013. The PowerPoint files can be downloaded from these links:

Graphical Calculation Calendar with Holidays

Graphical Calculation Calendar without Holidays

As I recall, I converted these to PDF using an Acrobat Pro interface within PowerPoint, and then rotated the final page 180 degrees in Acrobat Pro itself so it was printed correctly for the “back cover”. But you can also print these directly from PowerPoint after you make your edits, I’m sure, as long as your margins are kept small (I think I set them to be 1/4″). Let me know if you have any questions. — Ron

19. MAKE | Free "Age of Graphical Computing" calendar download says:

[…] He’s written a book on advanced Mentat techniques and keeps a fascinating blog called Dead Reckonings: Lost Art in the Mathematical Sciences: As you may have noticed, the history of graphical computing (nomograms and the like) has become […]